You may lodge a complaint about any television or radio broadcast material by -
- mailing or faxing the complaint to the CA (Download Complaint Form) (PDF); or
20/F, Wu Chung House, 213 Queen's Road East, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
- Fax no.
(852) 2507 2219
- sending an email using the Complaint Form
You should lodge a complaint as soon as possible after the concerned materials were broadcast since late complaints may not be processed due to the unavailability of relevant recording. When lodging a complaint, you are required to provide sufficient and concrete information about the complaint, such as the title of the programme/advertisement/other broadcasting material, name of the broadcast station and channel, actual broadcast date and time of the broadcast, a brief description of the relevant contents, allegation(s), etc. In view of the large amount of broadcast materials made available to the public, complainants should provide sufficient and concrete information to enable the CA to identify the broadcast material under complaint. Complaints without sufficient and concrete details for identification of the broadcast material concerned cannot be further processed.
Please note the following points when lodging a complaint about broadcast contents.
- Broadcast contents are regulated by the codes of practice issued by the CA after consultation with the public and the licensees. The programme codes set out the standards to be observed generally in programmes, including matters such as taste and decency, portrayal of sex and violence, use of language, and protection of children, etc. Please refer to the Generic Code of Practice on Television Programme Standards and the Radio Code of Practice on Programme Standards for details.
The advertising codes deal with standards for the presentation and content of advertisements and programme sponsorship. Advertising should be legal, clean, honest and truthful. All sponsor involvement must be declared so that the viewer/listener knows who is funding the programme. Please refer to the Generic Code of Practice on Television Advertising Standards and the Radio Code of Practice on Advertising Standards for details.
- Subject matters which are not regulated under the Broadcasting (Miscellaneous Provisions) Ordinance (Cap. 391), the Broadcasting Ordinance (Cap. 562), Part IIIA of the Telecommunications Ordinance (Cap. 106), the terms or conditions of a broadcasting licence, or the CA's codes of practice are outside the remit of the CA. Examples of these subject matters are as follows:-
- Programme editing
- Story plot
- Choice of music/song/programme content
- Performance and choice of hosts/guests/artistes
- Accuracy in entertainment and fiction programmes
- If you want to lodge complaints on subject matters outside the remit of the CA, you can send your views directly to the concerned broadcasters. Contact details of broadcasters are as follows:-